"Mirror Of Ink"

I look into this mirror of ink and see a soul that has no beauty in itself, but is silvery-white in the light of

Your Grace that covers me and makes me new.

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Committed

I don’t know why this has been on my mind lately, but perhaps it will strike a chord with someone.

I’ve been thinking a lot about the lack of commitment in our society today. Commitment to relationships, jobs, family, goals, morals, convictions, etc. Why are we so quick to run away from things we once held in such high esteem as soon as a little trouble comes our way? Are we so shallow that we’re not willing to pay the price to stick by or work out something that we truly believe in?

People throughout history that have truly made a difference have been people that were totally committed to their cause. Philosophers, inventors, artists, missionaries, activists, politicians...so many people have given their lives in commitment to a cause that they believed to be worthy of their time, devotion, and in many cases, even martyrdom.

So why do we find it so hard to be committed to something? Anything? We’re always looking for the "next best thing". We’re not committed to marriage and family. We promote a good cause one day and forget about it the next. We commit to finishing our education, fulfilling our dreams, and making a difference, but somehow we end up making excuses for why we’ve fallen short. What happened to sacrifice? Conviction? Perserverance? COMMITMENT?

I want to be known as a committed person. I want to be committed to my Savior. I want people to see that I am 100% devoted to my faith in God and will never be swayed or shaken. I want to be as committed to Christ as He was to me when He carried my cross to Calvary.
I want to be committed to my family. I want them to always know without question that I am with them through thick and thin. No matter how tough times may get, I am committed to loving, supporting and believing in them.

I want to be committed to my dreams. To the vision God has given me for my life and my future. No matter how out of reach it may seem, I will press forward with my whole heart toward what God has called me to be and to do. I won’t give up. I won’t back down.
I want to be committed to the cause of Christ. To sharing His message with the world. I want to look back at the end of my life knowing that I did everything I could to tell people about the salvation that Jesus offers. It may require sacrifice and hardship, but I will not be silenced. Ever.

I want to go against the tide. This world may find that commitment is an outdated, overrated idea, but I believe it is the cornerstone to change. Like it’s been said, "If you don’t stand for something, you’ll fall for anything." Years from now I want someone to remember my name and know that I made a difference because I was committed. Perhaps it will be my grandchildren, thankful for a solid family heritage. Perhaps it will be young people that I ministered to, thankful for someone who told them about Jesus. Perhaps it will be someone I’ve never even met, but that was impacted by my life in some way.

I challenge you- be committed. Figure out who you are and what you believe and be committed to it. Whether it’s your faith, your family, your church, your charity, your dreams, or your desires, be committed. Nothing worth having comes without sacrifice. Jesus was the ultimate example of that. If He could be committed to a lost and dying world that hated and crucified Him, shouldn’t we be able to commit to a Savior that gave His all for us?
No matter what the cost, I will be committed. Will you?

No comments: